.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
  Privacy vs. security
One of the biggest changes we are seeing over the past few years is the ability for technology to be used to spy on us. From spyware on our computers to the ever-present video camera, technology is quickly eroding our ability to remain anonymous. Some say that we are losing our privacy but gaining security. In this post-9/11 world, the ability to identify an individual quickly and accurately is becoming of paramount importance. But at what cost?

In The Transparent Society David Brin writes that we have no choice: our privacy is quickly disappearing. The question then becomes, who controls this technology and the information it creates? Brin gives two possibilities: 1) the government or 2) the public. His book makes the case for possibility #2 as the best solution. I tend to agree: this kind of power in the hands of the government can only lead to abuse and loss of freedom.

Interestingly, when I present this concept to my MIS students, most all of them prefer possibility #1. Apparently, the type of student who comes to Biola has a deep trust of the government. These students were 13 or 14 when Bush was first elected. I wonder how students at, say, Berkeley, would feel? I wonder how my students would respond if Kerry had been elected president? Imagine if, someday, they were to begin tracking down Christians...
 
Comments:
Even after reading Cryptonomicon, you still think that the erosion of privacy is inevitable? Interesting.

Of course, I agree that the public should control the technology, but I have no idea how this works out practically. In some ways, 'public technology' can be taken to mean 'government technology', which makes things even more interesting. Isn't the government supposed to represent the people?

Anyway, I think privacy is worth fighting for; I don't think its disappearance is inevitable. It will just look different in the future. Public-key cryptography is the answer.
 
Phil-

I think privacy as we knew it is already gone. We may be able to retain a newly defined level of privacy. Yes, it is worth fighting for, and I think that Brin's approach is a good one. He goes into quite a bit of detail in his book on how it would all work.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

Why the title?

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger