.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Friday, October 13, 2006
  On being a media show
One of the most amazing aspects of this whole ordeal has been the media's reaction. I have never held a high opinion of the news media, especially local news reporters, but I'll have to admit that they have been nothing but professional, kind, and patient. The pictures here are still captures from interviews I did on local news. See the links from Tuesday's entries to watch the segments.

Within minutes of arriving at the hospital, I was asked if I would be interviewed on the local ABC affiliate. I was stunned! At that time, I was still on a back board and in a neck brace, so my immediate answer was "no - not now". Once they had cleared my spine and removed the brace so I could sit up, I then gave the interview. It was relatively simple and I was impressed with the sensitivity and respect of the two-person crew (camera and interview personality) that conducted the interview. As time passed, I soon began to realize that everyone in LA wanted to know my story and I was being asked to interview for every local station. My first inclination was again to say "no" - I could see no reason why I should be giving interviews. I hadn't done anything to deserve it and I was certainly not looking for any attention. As I was contemplating this, both my amazing wife, Marne, and my good friend, Steve Huff, told me: "Dave, you have a story to tell. You need to tell it." And they were right.

I have now been on all the local news channels and been interviewed by Inside Edition (who has yet to air the piece). Since then, I have received emails from several people telling me how inspired they have been by what has happened:

I just heard from that you had a car accident but you are survive. We watched the news together and I saw God's miracle and your strong faith. It was amazing. Since I was amazed by that, I posted this news on my HP. One of my friends read my blog and watched the news. She has been my friend since high school and an anti-Christian. However, she gave me a comment and said, "It might be accident but since I saw this miracle, I now feel like that God is."

She has never changed her mind even though I talked to her about God. However, you changed her through this accident even though you have never talked to her. I am so sorry about the fact you had a car accident and lost your favorite car but I just want to let you know about this and I wanted to say thank you. I will keep trying to tell the gospel to her from now on since you gave me a chance. Again, thank you.


And this one...

Hi Professor Bourgeois!

I graduated from Biola in Dec '04. You were never my prof, but when I saw you on the news last night, I was astonished to learn that you made it out alive! It was encouraging, because when you recently graduate, its not easy starting your life over in the "real world". And when I saw how strategic God was in saving you, even when you had no idea a huge monster was falling on you, I was amazed.

When you told the reporter that you would always carry God's purpose with you, even more so now, I was touched.

Thank you for your encouraging words!


I have also been receiving encouragement from current students, coworkers, friends, and members of the community. I am humbled and awed by what God has done. And I am convinced He will be doing more. Not just for me, but for many, many others as well.

P.S. A quick update on me: I am slowly on the mend - not quite as sore and stiff as before, but still in some pain. Pray for healing and a return to normalcy.

Labels: ,

 

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

It's just a car...
This isn't how I wanted my 15 minutes of fame...
Lost Dogs concert
My daily fix
Been busy, but this is important...
Interesting viewpoint on ID
Don't Be Good
Christians and Science
It is finished
I've been busy, OK, stop hassling me...

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger