.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Thursday, December 21, 2006
  Marne's thoughts

As we were putting our Christmas letter together this year, Marne and I reviewed the journaling that she did right after my accident. I have always told her that I wanted to post what she wrote on my blog, but she never felt that it was quite finished. After reviewing it again, she said to just go ahead and post it. So, here it is, Marne's thoughts about our experience written just a few days after the accident...

It’s Monday morning, October 9, 2006, the phone rings and Dave’s voice is filled with panic. He said, “I’ve been in a serious accident and I should be dead! A truck fell on me, but I was able to get out of the car…I won’t be able to take the kids to school. Oh my God, I should be dead, but I’m okay.” That is all I remember him saying though I know I was on the phone with him longer than that. From that moment on I remember praising God that he was alive and calling a few friends and family asking them to pray. While I wasn’t sure what to do next I realize now my objective was to find out for myself that Dave was really okay. I remember taking a quick shower, getting the kids ready for school and praising God that Dave was alive. I dropped Joel and Cori off at school (Aaron had already left for school for an early fieldtrip) and drove up to Lambert where the accident occurred. The sight of two helicopters in the air over the accident I couldn’t yet see gave me the chills as the severity of this accident began to become real. The road was completely blocked so the officer told me to park and walk to the accident scene. Thank God I had talked to Dave or I would have been completely devastated by what I saw.

The first person I talked to knew Dave had been taken to the hospital, but went to find out which hospital. When he came back he explained that he had taken photos of the accident and thought that the tv news reporters would want to talk to me. I told them about Dave’s phone call to me at 7:40 that morning and how we were praising God for sparing his life. They shared with me comments from police and EMTs who had been at the scene that morning…”I expected to find a double fatality accident, not a walk away accident. There’s something wrong with you if you don’t believe in miracles after seeing this.” I quickly walked up to the preschool and asked Ms. Condon if I could leave Seth a few minutes early explaining Dave was in that accident. She and the assistant teacher told me they had been praying all morning for those involved in the accident never realizing of course it was someone they knew. From there I headed to St. Jude hospital to see for myself that Dave was really okay. Praise to God filled my thoughts and the overwhelming need to see Dave. I am thankful that I didn’t spend time dwelling on thoughts of the possible extent of injury he could have suffered, but looking back at it I’m surprised I did not. I finally found the ER and waited for Dave to return from X-rays. Miraculously, he suffered only minor injuries, a nasty bruise on his shoulder, a small cut on the top of his head, redness on his upper right thigh and soreness all over his torso. Those that treated him and saw the photos of the accident were amazed at the lack of harm to his body. By 11:30a.m. Dave was released from the hospital and I drove him home. What a surprise to us to find all the media interest in this accident and Dave’s miraculous survival! The remainder of that day and the following morning were filled with interviews and photos from all the local news stations, Inside Edition, and the Orange County Register, not to mention a phone that kept ringing as people heard about the accident and realized it was Dave.

As the week has progressed and we are still trying to deal with this trauma several thoughts have stood out. First of course is the precious gift of life itself and not wanting to waste one moment or take it for granted. Celebrating our 15th Anniversary together yesterday was an incredible blessing as I consider this accident should have been fatal. I also realize that while we spent much time crediting Blue with having a part in saving Dave because of its solid steel frame, perhaps its mission was also in proclaiming what God did. What I mean is many people around town knew Dave drove that blue mustang and recognized it when they drove by or saw it on the news thus giving us an opportunity to talk to them. We have had so many people talk to us about the accident, even people we have never met. I pray that we take each opportunity and give God the credit that belongs to Him alone. Also, I think much of the media interest in this story was due to Blue and what that car meant to us. Thus, the media spread the story further than it would have gone had the accident occurred with our Geo Prizm. It is my prayer that those who hear about this accident will recognize it for the miracle it is and give credit to the Lord. He is the one who deserves all the attention and interviews. How did He do it? When I look at pictures of the accident or what is left of Blue I am filled with awe at the incredible miracle it is that Dave is alive. Deepening our faith and realizing firsthand His mighty power is also a result of this accident. Seth was afraid that a snake might eat him when he was trying to go to sleep the night after the accident; I had the opportunity to pray that the Lord who can hold a big rig up to keep it from crushing Seth’s daddy was able to protect him from a snake. At first I thought how cool God gave us this incredible demonstration of His power and protection for our kids and then I remembered how much I need that example also.

Labels: , , ,

 

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

Light the Kinara!
Improvement
Another kind of digital divide
The Transparent Society is now
Ministry in a flat world
Linerider
Be purpose-driven
My wife loves me
This makes you think...
Goodbye to one of the good guys...

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger