.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Sunday, October 15, 2006
  Angels
When I was first struck by the truck, my initial thought was that I could not breathe very well. I immediately began to determine how I could get out of my car. The window wouldn't budget and the door wouldn't open. A gentleman standing outside the car was looking at me and telling me not to move as he called 911. I yelled through the window that I could not breathe and I needed to get out. He told me to turn away from the window and he proceeded to pull on it until it broke. He was pulling out, away from the car, not in towards me. Once the window had been broken, the door opened (I can't remember if I did it or he opened it) and I was able to crawl out onto the center median.

I have not heard from this man again, I don't know who he was, and pictures of the car (see the one posted to the right, taken after I was already out of the car) show that the window was not broken. Several people have told me that he was an angel. I am not one to quickly believe that sort of thing, though I do believe that angels do walk among us. It is possible that the window did not actually break and that this man simply ended up pulling the whole door open. But it comes down to this: either he was an angel who the Lord sent to rescue me, or he was a man who felt compelled to help and then remain anonymous. If the former, what a miracle! If the latter, what an amazing man. It got me to thinking: we can all be angels, of sorts, in so many situations. Have you ever been in a situation where someone has needed help and you were too busy or scared to help? God is so amazing and powerful that you CAN be an angel to that person.

Just a thought.

Labels: ,

 
Comments:
Hi Dave,

Back in my wild early 20s, before God got ahold of me, I got myself into a dangerous situation. I had alcohol poisoning, and was too out of it get the stuff out of my system. I was slumped over the toilet in the bathroom stall of a N.Y. club. None of my friends knew I was in there, and I was too out of it to ask anyone for help. There was a knock at the stall door, and a woman asked me if I was OK. I told her I was fine. She pushed a cup of water under the stall door. As soon as I drank the water, I started getting sick (which was exactly what needed to happen to get the alcohol out of my system). That same woman kept coming back, bringing water over what I later found out was a period of five hours. I never saw her face--only her feet.

I've often wondered if she was an angel or a real person. The one thing I know for sure: This was one time of several when I'm 100 percent certain God was sending someone--angel or human--to care for me or let me know He hadn't forgotten me.

What a blessing to read this! Thank you for your willingness to share your story with the media and here on your blog. God is blessing a lot of people with your story, and I can see God is blessing you and your family. It's amazing how he can use something as frightening and terrible as a car accident to speak to his people. I often question why God allows bad things to happen. It's very cool in situations like yours, when some of his reasons are apparent.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

On being a media show
It's just a car...
This isn't how I wanted my 15 minutes of fame...
Lost Dogs concert
My daily fix
Been busy, but this is important...
Interesting viewpoint on ID
Don't Be Good
Christians and Science
It is finished

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger