.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
  Search

A couple of months ago I read The Search by John Battelle. I found it so compelling that I am going to use it as part of my E-Business Strategy course this spring. It is the story of the search industry, with a special focus on Google. According to the author, the folks at Google feel that only about 5% of the search "problem" is solved so far. These search companies want to get inside your head and determine your intentions so that when you search they will fully understand what you want and provide you with the exact result. A fascinating idea. But just how will they get inside my head? That is the question.

Pondering this idea of search has led me to another path: how could technology be used to help those seeking information about Christianity? How can the results be presented so that the seekers can truly find Christ? Do a search right now on "Jesus Christ" and you will find a mix: Campus Crusade's web site, results from a PBS special, a Mormon web site, and a news story discussing the idea that maybe Jesus never did exist. Campus Crusade shows up first, so I am guessing that they have done their homework in regards to search results on the term "Jesus Christ". Kudos to them.

I have been playing around with the idea of developing a site that can be used as a resource for those working to understand the Christian worldview and theology. This would not be an evangelism site, but instead a place where current events and philosophies can be discussed in an environment that is trusted but allows for differences of opinion. Think Wikipedia for Christian thought, but with a guarantee of well-thought articles and opinions. Is this a good idea? Do you know of other sites that do this well? Send me your comments and ideas.
 

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

Mark D. Roberts on Islam
The coming tragedy?
The coming battle
Still going...
Lessons from Dover
Blogging in a postmodern world
Happy New Year!
Just awesome
Dissertation blues
BITS kickoff

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger