.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Monday, October 16, 2006
  And now for something completely different . . .
I have been concerned about the involvement of evangelical Christians with politics for some time. It seems that we wholeheartedly support what the "good guys" do (read: Republican agenda) and condescendingly shake our heads at the agendas of the "bad guys". I gave up on the Republicans a long time ago and don't feel at home in any of the political parties.

A man named David Kuo has written a book describing his first-hand account working in the Bush Administration's "Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives" and it deserves a read by Christians of all stripes who are concerned about the intertwining of faith and politics. The book is called Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction

From the book:

I have no anger towards my former colleagues or towards anyone else. Part of what made this so difficult to write is the amount of respect I have for my former colleagues. I like and respect them.

It was also a real challenge to try and tell the entire story, my own intimate story about what happens when you struggle with God and politics—and politics wins. I think one of the things that drove me was feeling the urgent need to tell people, particularly Christians, I suppose, that politicians look at any constituency with very cold eyes. They form constituencies to form a governing coalition. That isn’t a bad thing; that’s just what they do. And I think Christians have come to this notion that this White House is somehow their fellow parishioners with them, and that is simply not the case.


... and those of you looking for more posts about my accident, stay tuned, they will continue over the next few weeks.
 
Comments:
I had to delete a comment by Seven Star Hand because it was too long winded and completely missed the point of my post. For those of you interested in what he said, click on his name above and check out his blogs.

If you're going to comment here, make it short and to the point. If you want to rant, point people to your own blog, please!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

One week ago...
Angels
On being a media show
It's just a car...
This isn't how I wanted my 15 minutes of fame...
Lost Dogs concert
My daily fix
Been busy, but this is important...
Interesting viewpoint on ID
Don't Be Good

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger