.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Thursday, January 19, 2006
  Visions of the future
I am big fan of science fiction novels. I recently got my hands on a "Top 100" list of the best sci-fi novels of all time and I am making my way through these. It turns out I had already read 17 of the top 20, so I am trekking down to the used book store to work through the rest.

One of the things I have noticed in reading science fiction is that the authors tend to take one of two views about the future of earth: either it will degenerate into chaos, with life on earth being filled with crime and shortages (doomsday) or mankind will solve their problems and work together to explore the stars (utopian). This is, of course, a generalization and not all SF novels do this. But it gets me wondering about the mindset of these authors. The "doomsday" authors have a very low view of man and are very pessimistic about the future that technology will bring. The "utopian" authors believe in the goodness of men to overcome our problems and come together as a world. It would be an interesting study to classify all the SF written in the past fifty years or so and see what sorts of trends we could find.

But this gets me thinking: as Christians, what sort of future are we envisioning? On the one hand, we can look at the fallen nature of man and the coming apocalypse described in Revelation and take a very pessimistic, or doomsday view. On the other hand, we can be working for bringing Christ's kingdom to earth and take an essentially positive, though probably not utopian, view.

I, myself, take a middle road. I don't expect to see any of the doomsday scenarios play out, at least not until the Lord returns. I also don't see any utopias coming any time soon. As human beings, we will always be faced with the same problems of good and evil, they just may be in different forms. What I do hope for is that advances in science and technology can help us overcome many of the physical problems we encounter: cures for sickness, help for the disabled, better quality of life as we age. I also see that technology can be used as a way to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Now that is something to be working towards.
 

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

Some interesting pieces around the web
Hilarious
MLK
Predictions
Search
Mark D. Roberts on Islam
The coming tragedy?
The coming battle
Still going...
Lessons from Dover

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger