.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Lessons from Brea
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
  Why should the devil have all the good . . . web sites?

Martin Luther is quoted as having said "Why should the devil have all the good music?" While this is debatable, it has spawned a song and a movie and has been used as a rallying cry for those who believe that Christians should use their God-given artistic talents to their fullest in the creation of music. While it is questionable that the results (Contemporary Christian Music) are actually good art, the point is still valid: God has given Christians unique talents and gifts that should be used to their fullest, which should culminate in art that is of the highest class and beauty created. As Christians, we should never be satisfied with "good enough".

In fact, this should be true in every area of the life of the Christian. In Colossians 3, it speaks of "doing your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men" (NASB). I can attest: this is very difficult to do. With five kids, two jobs, and serving in several areas, it is always tempting to do "just enough" to get by and not be excellent. It is a constant struggle.

So why the title "Why should the devil have all the good web sites?". As I stated in an earlier post, I believe that I was not killed in my accident because He has more for me to do here first. Besides the things mentioned in a previous post, I believe God has uniquely positioned me for another task: developing a research base on how Christian ministries can effectively accomplish their mission via technology. God has laid on my heart a desire to see technology used to reach the world for Him. We have all seen church web sites that have fallen by the wayside and are no longer maintained. It is embarrassing to me as a Christian to see this happen - if you are going to do it, do it well.

How am I uniquely positioned? I have a Ph.D. in Information Systems and Technology. My research interests are in the effective design of social systems. I work at a job that will encourage and reward me for research. I have worked in the IT industry for 15 years and continue to do consulting there, keeping my eye on the "pulse" of the latest technology. I have a deep desire to see churches and other Christian ministries use technology to accomplish the mission God has laid out for them.

When I talk about this research, I do not simply mean "I will show them how to make good web sites". There are already many people out there doing that, most notably the Heal Your Church web site run by Dean Peters. What I am talking about is an academic look into what makes some uses of technology by churches and other ministries effective, and why some fail. It is not the selection of particular technologies I am concerned with, it is the processes used by these organizations that should be analyzed. It is quite simple to put up a web site these days - it is much more difficult to create an Internet presence which leverages the church or ministry and increases its reach manyfold.

What will be the result of all this research? I don't know. A book, a web site, seminars, training classes, consulting - maybe a mix of all of these. My first step is just to understand more fully the issues facing churches and other ministries when using technologies and looking for common patters. This will be followed by a more explicit research proposal and possible grants. The process may easily take more than a year, but along the way I hope to impact the world in the way God has gifted me to.

I will use this blog to communicate my progress as I go along - I hope you'll check in once in a while to see how it's going.
 
Comments:
http://godbit.com/featured/jacobs-well-church

This is the church of Scott Raymond, one of the guys who spoke at RailsConf. You'd probably be interested in the site in general if you haven't already seen it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

About This Blog
This blog is where I post personal thoughts about life and family and fun. If you are looking for my other blog on faith, technology, and effective Internet ministry, go to Lessons from Babel.

My Accident

As many of you know, I was in a bad accident on October 9, 2006. The posts I wrote about the accident have scrolled off the main page, so you'll want to go to the entries labeled "accident" to get to them in case that is why you are here. Of course, I do have a lot of other interesting things to say...

Previously

My Music
Shannon's Story
Why me?
Fifteen years
A total loss
And now for something completely different . . .
One week ago...
Angels
On being a media show
It's just a car...

Technology & Society
David Brin Transparent Society
Technomanifestos
Other Places I Like
Paste Music
Woot!
Phantom Tollbooth
Biola University
Music
The Lost Dogs
Daniel Amos
The Violet Burning
Television
Save the Bluths!
The Office

Archives

June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / August 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / August 2014 / September 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 /



Powered by Blogger